Birth Doula Services, Trish Wilkinson & Sara Heumann
Services are designed around client's individual needs. However, at the very LEAST, they include:
• An initial interview meeting (no charge)
• Attend at least one prenatal visit with you and your provider
• The labor and birth, and up to three hours following the birth
• At least one postpartum visit in your home
Fees are never more than $600... if there are financial or other concerns, fees can be discussed and negotiated. Gift certificates available. It is Tree of Life's goal to provide doula support to every woman who wishes it.
Belly Casting, Trish Wilkinson
Plaster belly casting is a fun and decorative way to remember your pregnancy. It takes a short period of time, and can be an individual or partner activity. You can choose to do just your belly, or your belly and breasts. It will be done in the privacy of your home. Fees are as follows:
Tree of Life Birth Doula Clients: no charge
Tree of Life Postpartum Doula Clients: $25.00
Non–doula clients: $35.00
Class: Comfort Measures in Labor, Trish Wilkinson
Would you like to go beyond your childbirth preparation classes, and learn hands-on techniques that will help during your labor? Learn the physical and emotional coping skills that will aid you on your labor and delivery journey. Teaching materials included. Four hour class held over two evenings. $35.00. Please contact for dates and times.
Education and Parenting Consultation, Trish Wilkinson, Sarah Williams,
& Sara Heumann
If you have taken childbirth classes, and still have questions or need clarification on what you have learned, I am glad to meet with you to provide feedback and support. An initial meeting is usually no more than two hours for a fee of $25.00. There is no charge for Tree of Life birth doula clients for this service. If you then wish to continue meeting, we can decide together what meets your needs. This also applies to parenting consultation before or after the birth. These meetings can take place in your home, if that is your preference.
Postpartum Doula Services:
Nurturing the family through the fourth trimester, Sarah Williams
Benefits of Postpartum Doula Care
• Decreased incidence of Postpartum Mood Disorders
• More time for bonding with baby and rekindling partner relationships
• Increased breastfeeding success
• Increased confidence in parenting skills
• Encourages appropriate well-baby and mother care
After a free initial consultation, I will customize a program to meet your needs. Services provided may include, but are not limited to:
• New mother care
• Baby basics/education on newborn care
• Provide breastfeeding/infant feeding support and education
• Foster family bonding and nurturing
• Provide a listening, non-judgmental ear
• Provide infant soothing and coping skills for parents/Infant massage
• Prepare nutritious meals/meal planning and light household chores/organization
• Shop for groceries
• Organize nursery for infant care
• Babywearing/sling use and training
• Referrals to community and healthcare resources
• Offer education, companionship and nonjudgmental support
• Provide support and information during recovery from birth
• Guidance and support for adoptive families and families of multiples
Minimum Postpartum Doula package includes:
1 one-hour prenatal visit
3 three-hour postpartum visits
Gift Certificates Available! Postpartum care makes a great shower or new baby gift.
Lactation Support, Jodi Fan
The following are situations where you might find lactation support especially helpful:
• When you begin breastfeeding and are needing help with latch and positioning
• When you are experiencing sore nipples for any reason
• When you are experiencing engorgement, plugged ducts, or breast pain
• When your baby won’t latch or is on a "nursing strike"
• When you have questions or are worried about your milk supply
• When you have been told you need to supplement your baby with formula
• When you don’t know if your baby is getting enough milk
• When you are concerned about your babies weight gain
• When you are nursing multiples
• When you have been told you have to wean and you are not ready to
• When you have questions about breastpumps and pumping/storing milk
• When you need to return to work/school and you’d like to continue to breastfeed
• When you have questions about introducing solids
• When you have questions about your baby’s sleep patterns and how they relate to nursing
• When your baby is teething and you are concerned about continued breastfeeding
• When you have questions about weaning and how to go about it
Services include prenatal and postpartum education and guidance by phone/e-mail or home/hospital visits by appointment.
Resource Guidance, Trish Wilkinson, Sarah Williams, Sara Heumann, Sue Osborne, & Jodi Fan
There is no charge for guidance to resources in the birth community. Education to what is available regarding pregnancy, birth, and parenting are subjects we want to share with those who are wanting to know what options are accessible in Champaign-Urbana and the surrounding area. This would preferably be a scheduled face-to-face meeting at your convenience.
Birth Photography, Sue Osborne
A photographic birth story. Birth-Day-Memories: pictures that let you look back on your birth and remember those things that may have gotten lost in your work of labor.
View some examples in our Photo Gallery.
"We have a secret in our culture. It's not that birth is painful - it's that women are strong." Laura Stavoe Harm
Placenta Encapsulation, Sara Heumann
The placenta contains your own natural hormones and healing properties and is perfectly made for you, by you. Reintroducing them to your system is believed to ease postpartum hormonal fluctuations. There are many benefits of placenta encapsulation including:
• Restoring balance to your system
• Smoothing out the postpartum hormonal crash
• Increase in energy
• Shortening the duration of postpartum bleeding
• Increase in milk production
• The prevention or reduction of postpartum depression naturally and safely
• Returning the uterus to its pre-pregnancy state more quickly
• Can be taking during PMS, menopause and during other times of hormonal imbalance
Services include a prenatal visit, encapsulation, and postpartum check-in. Please contact for more detailed information.